Aberdeen is a beautiful city in Scotland that is perfect for a romantic getaway. There are many things to see and do in the city, and the people are friendly and welcoming. My husband and I took the sleeper train from London to Aberdeen and celebrated our thirtieth wedding anniversary there. After our overnight train ride, we checked into the Residence Inn by Marriott and had breakfast. You can take a cab from the train station, but we walked.
Here are some of the best things to do in Aberdeen for a romantic getaway:
- Visit the Aberdeen Art Gallery. The Aberdeen Art Gallery is a beautiful museum that houses a collection of art from around the world. The museum is free to visit, and it is a great place to spend a few hours exploring the art and culture of Scotland.
- Take a walk along the beach. Aberdeen is located on the North Sea, and there are many beautiful beaches to explore. A walk along the beach is a great way to relax and enjoy the scenery.
- Visit the Maritime Museum. Telling the fascinating story of the North Sea through fantastic new exhibitions, interactive displays and multi-media presentations, Aberdeen Maritime Museum is acknowledged as one of the finest visitor attractions in Scotland.
- Stop in at Provost Skein’s House. The architecture is divine and Instagram-worthy, but the exhibits are most interesting. More than 100 remarkable individuals from Aberdeen and the North-East are showcased in new interactive displays. They include innovators, scientists, live savers, writers, sporting champions and stars of stage and screen. Everyone featured was born, has lived or worked in Aberdeen or the North-East.
- Visit the Marischal College. The Marischal College is a historic building that was once a university. The college is now a museum, and it is a great place to learn about the history of Aberdeen.
- Go shopping on Union Street. Union Street is the main shopping street in Aberdeen. There are many shops and boutiques to explore, and it is a great place to find souvenirs.
- Have dinner at a restaurant with a view. There are many restaurants in Aberdeen that offer stunning views of the city or the North Sea. We enjoyed dinner at the Silver Darling and the award winning Moon Fish is a great way to end a romantic evening.
These are just a few of the many things to do in Aberdeen for a romantic getaway. The city is full of history, culture, and beautiful scenery. With its friendly people and relaxed atmosphere, Aberdeen is the perfect place to escape the everyday and enjoy a romantic weekend away.