You might think that being happy at work every day just isn’t possible, but this post is here to tell you that it is. There are things you can do in order to feel happier whatever you do for a living, so read on and you won’t waste 90,000 hours (the average amount of time each person spends at work during their lifetime) feeling unhappy.
Start Your Morning Off Right
First thing’s first: if you’re going to feel happy at work every day, then you’re going to need to make sure you’re starting your morning off right. How you begin your day will play a huge part in how the rest of your day goes. In fact, the first thoughts you have as you wake up can make a big difference, too. Here are some pointers to help you:
- Set your alarm when you actually want to get up. If you snooze too many times you’ll feel groggy and won’t want to get up.
- Pay attention to your thoughts first thing in the morning. Being mindful of what you think will make a difference too - if you’re thinking about how much you’re dreading the day, you won’t feel good. Try some positive self-talk about what a great day it is and how happy you are to start fresh.
- Consider exercising first thing in the morning. People who are physically active first thing in the morning feel more positive for the rest of the day, have greater clarity, and get more done overall. Plus, it stops you from making excuses when you’ve had a hard day at work and just want to curl up.
- Read for a little bit. There are a ton of self help books you can pick up that will give you even more pointers on how to cultivate a more positive lifestyle and get more done at work.
- Listen to a positive, affirming audiobook on your way to work.
- Enjoy a good, balanced breakfast.
- Drink a pint of water as soon as you wake up.
- Take your vitamins.
Pay Attention To What You’re Putting Into Your Body
If you don’t eat breakfast in the morning, that’s fine. People will tell you that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but it’s pretty subjective. However, when you do get hungry, you should be eating a meal that will support your activity and help you to feel vibrant and alert. Here are more pointers:
- Try not to consume too much caffeine.
- Get plenty of greens and fruits.
- Pack your lunches so you don’t buy junk.
- Drink plenty of water.
Assess Your Current Role
If you’re doing everything you can to ensure your mental and physical health are on point but you still feel rubbish at work, it’s time to assess your current role. For example, you won’t feel happy at work if you constantly feel on edge because the workplace isn’t safe. You’ll end up having to contact an attorney for help, and everybody deserves to work in a safe space.
Speak To Your Boss
If there are issues within your current role, you have to approach your boss. It’s their job to make the workplace suitable for all.
Figure Out If You Need A New Job
Maybe you actually just need a job that enables you to use your own unique skills, that also appeals to your personality. Take some personality tests and see what you think could be a good change for you!